This water fasting page starts a series that will discuss various aspects, including Weight Loss - Water Fasting Tips and Healing Benefits. There is a link at the bottom of each page that will take you from one page to the other, so don't worry if you lose your place while you're reading. In these pages you will find information that can help you to better understand what fasting is all about. It is my hope to give you a foundation from which to start. There is, however, something that I want to emphasize right from the start:
Fasting Won't Produce Lasting Results Unless You Are Willing to Make Permanent Eating-Habit Changes
It takes hard work and dedication to reach our goals in any field. Fasting is no different. Yes, the weight loss and health benefits are amazing, and these do materialize very quickly, but first you'll need to go through some discomfort with hunger and detox symptoms. And, again, the most important part of any fast is what you do AFTER it. What I mean is this: Fasting for many days to return to a diet full of junk is insanity. That is not the type of fasting that we advocate in this website. For long-lasting results, your relationship with food must change.
Water fasting is initially tough. Sometimes very tough. But it does get easier as you proceed. In either case, it all comes down to a key question: What is the price of doing nothing? In the video below I share my thoughts on this topic.
Indeed, water fasting is a powerful and natural way to lose weight and cleanse your body of toxins as well as disease. I dare say that it is by far the most powerful source of healing and rejuvenation known to man. That is why I always refer to it as a Fountain of Youth.Regular water fasting can often foster dramatic anti-aging effects. But it is wise NOT to jump blindly into a fast longer than three days without suitable preparation. If you are a beginner, I suggest that you start with a partial fast. Skip one meal a day - say lunch - and drink a healthy amount of water as replacement.
Do this for a whole week. That alone will give you a good idea of what water fasting is all about. You will be exposed to hunger pangs and detox symptoms. But you will also get to experience the increased energy, mental clarity and sense of well-being that fasting ALWAYS provides. A partial water fast will make the detox process less uncomfortable. This type of intermittent fasting is a wise preparation step! I learned it the hard way. Going from a full-course fatty meal to water fasting is a recipe for misery. Many highly toxic & obese people - like I was - go from never fasting to a wanting to do a long one right away. hey are quickly floored by the severity of the hunger pains and detoxification symptoms. Do a partial fast instead and make it easier for yourself
Once you do a partial fast as described above for a few weeks, then start water fasting for short periods of time. Start with a 24-hour fast. Don't think that to attain a benefit you have to fast for months. That is not true. Fasting for longer periods of time will foster deeper detoxification and, of course, greater weight loss. But ANY effort you can make RIGHT NOW is more than enough to get you started! Little by little you can work your way to longer and longer fasts, if your health so allows it. Do not hurry and please take it easy. If you have make up your mind and are ready to do a 24-hour fast, follow these instructions.
* Choose the particular day
in which you plan on carrying out the fast. If possible, select a day
that is NOT packed with activities and engagements. Sunday is a good
day. But don't procrastinate. Choose a day and - DO IT! Water fasting while also going through a regular day is not optimal but possible nonetheless.
* Make sure that you have good quality water! While most cities have
decent tap water, this is an occasion for you to give yourself the very
best. If you don't have a water filter, now would be a good time to get
one. Stock up on seltzer water and green tea. Seltzer water works great
to soothe hunger pangs and detox symptoms. But stick to plain water as
much as possible. Use the seltzer sparkling water. l
* Tell at least ONE person close to you of your intentions, but DO NOT
shout it from the rooftops. Trust me with this one. There are many who
simply will not understand and may even try to talk you out of water
fasting. But, by all means, make sure to have human support. Make it a
point to visit our Fasting Forum and join the community conversation.
*At least ONE WEEK
before the fast, reduce your intake of sugar, fats and caffeine. The
stricter you are with this particular step, the easier the fast will be.
Caffeine detox can cause strong headaches. If your body is brimming
with sugar and grease, I can tell you what the hunger pangs and detox
symptoms will probably be very uncomfortable. Eat
salads, steamed vegetables and lean poultry and fish as much as
possible. Also, start to drink at the very least one-half gallon of water daily. The
water AND the reduction of sugars, fats and caffeine will move
your bowels and kick-start the detox process. Purchase a bottle
of a herbal cleanser like Herbs & Prunes and start to take
one-two-four tablets daily, also for seven days prior to the fast.
* In combination with the change in diet and increase in water-intake, this cleanser will induce powerful bowel movements. That will commence to purge your digestive system of built-up fecal matter adhered to the walls of the colon. This pre-fast cleanse will reduce hunger and detox symptoms because many of the toxins in your body will already have been eliminated.
*Eat your last meal at around 8PM the night before the day of the fast. On the morning of the fast, have two full glasses of water upon awakening to get the bowels going. Take two-to-four tablets of the Herbs & Prunes with a cup of green tea with a pinch of lime. Sorry, no sugar or honey. Go through your day as planned, making it a point to drink as much water as possible. Every time hunger hits you, drink two large glasses of water. If you have to leave your home, make sure to take sufficient water with you, along with at least two or three bottles of seltzer. I usually take a whole gallon of water and a six-pack of seltzer when I go out while fasting. Refrigerate the water when you get to your destination. If no refrigerator is available, keep the water as cool as possible and away from heat and sunlight.
* At around noon, when hunger strikes, crack open a bottle of seltzer and drink it slowly. You can add a pinch of lime to the seltzer for taste. If you are taking the Herbs & Prunes, you will be having regular bowel movements. So make sure to stay fairly close to a bathroom. When
first water fasting, you will likely have to dash for the toilet with
frequency. The body is not used to such large shots of liquid; the water
pushes on the colon and induces the elimination of toxic fecal residue. At
this point, between the first and third day of water fasting, the waste
coming out of your body will be from recently-consumed food. Getting to
the often "years-old" dregs stubbornly attached to the colon will take a
little longer. That is where the true miracle lies.
The best way
to accelerate the colon cleansing process is to massage your stomach,
pressing in with both hands open. First emphasize the top of the colon,
then the bottom... then the liver. Repeat this several times a day when
water fasting. The point is to drink large amounts of water, and then
to massage your abdomen to maximize the amount of dried and toxic waste
eliminated from your body.
Don't forget to sign up for our mailing list to receive newsletters, reports and articles related to fasting and alternative medicine.
* By 3PM, you will certainly start to really feel the hunger pains and may experience the beginning of the detoxification symptoms. Consider yourself fortunate ... your body is working hard to rid itself of toxins that were curtailing your health. Drink more water and seltzer. Have a cup of green tea for energy. You're almost there! I also encourage you to keep a journal and spend time writing your thoughts, feelings in it. Jot down how you are feeling physically and mentally. Record any mood swings or particular symptoms that stand out more than others. This information will be very useful. How? Well, when you are water fasting and hunger and symptoms are at their peak (and you want to quit), open the journal and simply 'vomit' your thoughts and feelings on paper. Write about why you are doing what you are doing. Why is it important to you? How will it feel to look in the mirror and see what you accomplished? Is it really worth it to give in to a passing craving and keep sabotaging yourself? No, it isn't worth it - Hell No!
* Drink more water and seltzer through the rest of the afternoon and have ONE more cup of green tea if you need it. When the clock hits 8PM, you are done! Break the fast initially by drinking a glass of watered-down orange or grape juice. About one hour later, have a bowl of sliced apples and pears. One apple and one pear is more than enough. Do not have a full course meal. Even if your entire being is screaming for more food, hold your ground. Drink another seltzer or make yourself a cup of chamomile tea. This tea has a very soothing and calming effect that will help you to get through the cravings and urges to eat. Not to mention that overeating right after a fast can be very dangerous and even life-threatening. So eat light, and then go to bed.
* In the AM, drink another two large glasses of water upon arising and have a light breakfast of fruit and oatmeal, preferably with low-fat milk. This is a good time to strongly think about your life and future and consider permanently changing your eating habits for the better.
Water fasting is a physical powerhouse that can nuke debris from your system and give you an outlook on life you never thought possible. It is, in some ways, supernatural.
Don't be a Lone Ranger - wanting to be a spiritual water fasting giant to the exclusion of people close to you.
One of the biggest mistakes most beginners make is to stop eating abruptly because they want to lose weight. They start water fasting overnight and try to keep it a secret. Or they plan the fast, but still fail to inform a select few of what they are doing. My longest water fast was 60 days, and most of it took place in a camp where there were at least five people who knew what I was doing. Without the support of a selected few, I may not have made it.
Maybe you arrived at this page because you were curious about water fasting. Or maybe you are prepared to face the challenge; maybe you're ready to do whatever it takes to lose the excess weight and heal. I pray and hope that such is the case. If we don't have our health, what do we have? Don't take life or health for granted. .Don't keep procrastinating action because, "I have plenty of time." Yes, hopefully you do have a lot of time. But what if you don't? Maybe you've tried to lose weight many times before and failed. "I'm weak," you might think. "I just don't have what it takes!" Well, let me tell you, the most amazing human beings in history, the ones that made a difference for mankind, are all men that failed (often miserably) in many of their efforts. So just because you tried several times and haven't made it, that doesn't mean anything. Actually it's a good thing. It means you are gaining experience, you are learning what makes you tick, you are understanding better and better what it takes to go all the way. If you can seize that winning attitude, I tell you my friend that nothing will be able to stop you. This can be the beginning of the rest of your life. And, amazingly, all you need to effect the change is - water, and guts!
One of the questions I am always asked when somebody is starting with
fasting is: How much water should I drink each day while I'm fasting? Drink as
much water as necessary to keep you going. It is not unusual for me to
drink one or even two gallons of water a day when I am fasting. Shoot for a similar quantity. As
I said, seltzer water with a little lime helps to settle the stomach
and appease water fasting hunger pains. That has worked wonders for me
at some very harsh moments. Try not to drink water that is
too cold. The closer to room temperature it is, the better. Again,
that is just a recommendation based on what has worked for me. Take
your time and try different temperatures of water until you find the one
that grants you the most comfort from the hunger pains.
recommend adding Himalayan Crystal Salt to the water several times
daily while fasting. This particular salt is known to contain energy and healing
properties that assist in bringing the body's regulatory system
(homeostasis) into balance. This fosters improved blood pH, digestive
system functions, brain activity, respiration, and it also helps remove
heavy metals from your body. One time I started a fast because I had somehow become bloated. My stomach hurt, I was constipated and overcome by chronic flatulence. When I'd enter the room everyone ran for the hills. I can't say I blame them. Anyways, over a period of three or four days I drank numerous glasses of this product. On the last day all of the symptoms were gone and I felt amazing. I also use this salt to bathe. Fill the tub with warm to hot water, sprinkle some salt into the tub and soak for 15 to 20 minutes. Let your body absorb all of the nutrients in the salt. It's really great stuff. Give it a shot. You won't be disappointed. Ok, let's move on to
PART II of the series where we'll talk specifically about water fasting for weight loss.
New! Facebook CommentsSpeak your mind about this fasting/health topic ... :-)